07 April, 2011

Bands these days have it easy

I caught the video for ET by Katy Perry, featuring Kanye West and it got me thinking. First of all, I don't have a totally solid opinion about Katy Perry, but I fucking hate Kanye (I realize this article I've linked to is from 2008, but still. Also, I don't condone the use of the word "douchebag"). Anyway, my brain immediately went to the video for Under Pressure because it was said at the time that Queen and David Bowie were too busy to make a "proper" video for the track. I'm not saying anything bad about Katy Perry and Kanye West having time to do shit, I'm just noticing that it's probably really bad form if they didn't make a video.

This also got me thinking about when I first heard Evanescence in high school and I was super pissed and resentful toward them because I have my own Bastard Queen Fan moments and I was a moody teenager at the time. It seemed like their debut album got tons of attention and promotion, and their first music video got attention and a big budget. Keep Yourself Alive had fucking stock footage! It felt like musicians (I'm going to keep it simple and not split hairs) of my generation seemed to get a pretty hefty leg-up right away (seriously, who the fuck decided to sign Ke$ha?!) whereas Queen had to bust their asses off for four years before they even started making money and becoming successful.

And you know, I wasn't there at the start of Queen's career, so maybe there was tireless promotion from the start, and maybe they were noticed right away. I'm probably talking out of my ass. Except those parts about Ke$ha and Kanye West. Although there's another point that I've always wanted to make, but I could never find the words, and then Cracked.com beat me to it. See #1 on this link which conveniently sums up my thoughts precisely. Only the writers of Cracked do a lot of research, where I just do a quick search on Google and have my head up my ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment